This year our Student Ministry program at Karns has decided to take a challenge to help make 2013 the best year it can be. The challenge that has been placed before our students, as well as some of the parents, is to allow God to work in and through us to mold us into the image of His son.
As children of God, our desire should be to walk, talk and represent Christ in the same way He would if He still walked the earth today. We want our level of discipleship to deepen to the point our family, friends and neighbors notice we are different people. Our desire is for others to see the image of Jesus in our lives.
In order for this to be accomplished, our students are going to try and do things they have never done before. Thomas Jefferson said, “If you want something you’ve never had, you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.” This is what we are going to do in 2013. This year we are accepting the challenge to be who God has called us to be, both in and out of the church building.
Last night each student was given details of this challenge. After going over what the challenge consisted of, each student spent a few minutes in prayer and then decided whether or not they wanted to participate. I explained by accepting the challenge each student would be accountable to the others. We are going to have one another’s backs throughout this challenge. I am thrilled to say every student prayerfully considered and decided to accept the challenge.
Here are a just a few things our challenge will consist of…
- Participate in monthly service projects (both as a group and as an individual).
- Send an encouraging text, Facebook message, Tweet, email or card to someone each week.
- Find one or two people to pour your heart into and work to help them find a relationship with Jesus.
- Pick one of the other students and help mentor them (HS students help mentor MS students, MS students help mentor the elementary students).
- Participate in the big project we will be undertaking in the fall. I’m pumped about this.
- Read through the New Testament in 90 days and keep a notebook. We are participating in this together as a group. Our readings start today. I’ve even had some parents ask if they could be included in this part of our challenge. I truly believe this experience will be a blessing in the lives of all the participants.
- Allow God to work in and through your life to deepen your relationship with Jesus and to bless those around you.
I am super excited to see what God will do in our lives through this challenge. Each student understands the impact participating in this challenge could have. My prayer is that the impact will be far greater than anything even I have dreamed of.
Please take a moment and pray for all the students and parents who have accepted this challenge. Ask God to do incredible things in the lives of all those who are participating so their relationship with Jesus is deepened.
What are you doing this year to deepen your relationship with God? I’d love to hear from you on this. Leave your comments below.